I do goal setting all the time. For renovations to the house; my pool to be build by the end of 2010; becoming the leading expert on Coaching for the Caribbean Region in 5 years – I can go on and on…. I have already picked out the type of vehicle that I will be driving; the colour of the interior of the vehicle; how much I will be earning etc.. I have done a vision board with pictures of my goals…
Things to bear in mind when Goal Setting:
- The goals set must be towards things that you really want and not just something that sounds good or you think you should want or someone else thinks you should have. You are the one doing the goal setting and it has to be what you truly want. Upon discovering Life Coaching, I realized that doing my Law Degree was not my heart’s desire. I was doing it because I needed a plan for retirement. All my previous goals were set towards being able to practice Law even after retirement.
- Goals and action must work together
- Sometimes you have to win and influence people to help you to achieve your goals instead of putting unnecessary roadblocks in your way.
- Be positive at all times… Music is a great way to stay positive. The song by Black Eye Peas is FANTASTIC– “I got a feelin, that tonight’s going to be a good night, that tonight’s going to be a good tonight….” I change the “tonight” to TODAY….. I listen to other inspirational music that has a soca beat, that wakes up my soul on a morning and I feel like I could fly for the rest of the day. My dream is to fly over by the rainbow – so high….. Absolutely AMAZING!!!!
- Try to be as detailed as possible when setting goals – Goal; time-frame; success… and most important – the goals must be written in positive affirmations. Eg: I have successfully become the leading expert on Coaching in the Caribbean Region and will be driving my new vehicle to attend seminars.
Have celebrations once a goal has been achieved. It keeps one on track… So decide what you want, write it down, review it constantly and each day do something that moves you toward those goals. Hire a coach, if need be, to help keep you on track….
Thought for the day: “If you want to be happy, set a goal that commands your thoughts, liberates your energy and inspires your hopes”. – Andrew Carnegie, The richest man in America in the early 1900s